Housing and Community Support Services (HACSS)

The Housing and Community Support Service helps people live independently, whether in their own tenancies, in shared accommodation, or living at home.

This can be anything from a few hours support a week to 24/7 care and support.

We work with people who live anywhere in Edinburgh, the Lothians and Falkirk areas.


Together we will create a support service that meets your needs– with you at the centre.  This means we will try hard to be flexible and give you as much choice and control over your service as you want to have.

We will work with you to help identify and achieve your personal outcomes and goals.

The kinds of things we can support people with include:

  • Looking after your home– cooking, cleaning, paying bills, and being a good neighbour
  • Keeping up with friends and family and other important people in your life
  • Help with your money
  • Personal care
  • Looking after your health (including support with healthy living and health screening)
  • Going to medical or any other appointments
  • Ongoing medical support (like help with medication, PEG feeding, support for conditions like diabetes and epilepsy, etc.)
  • Help with your emotions and mental health
  • Support to get out and about, and enjoy your personal interests and hobbies
  • Support to get involved in your local community
  • Help with finding work, voluntary work or college / night classes
  • Support with any other part of your day to day life that you need help with
  • Having fun and spending time with staff who care about you.

In some teams we also have group supports available, where you can meet up with other people and do various activities or learn new skills. Examples include things like gardening, cooking or computers, or just getting together in a breakfast club or men’s / women’s groups. The exact groups we have on at any time might change, depending on what people want and what funding we have to run them. We also support people to use their self-directed support / direct payments to fund group supports or set up groups themselves.

We can also help people get specialist support, either from other Action Group services, like Real Jobs or Advice, or from other agencies, like social work, or community learning disability nurses.

We have our own Housing Advice Team who can offer expert help on managing your tenancy and support with moving house, claiming housing benefit and accessing basic furnishings and decoration.

Find out more
If you would like to find out if you can get support from our HACSS team, please contact the office on 0131 475 2315 and ask for one of the Development Managers.

You would need to have an assessment by a social worker to get funding or self-directed support to pay for the support you need.

You can find out more about this by contacting your local social work department.

Or fill in our online enquiry form here.

Have Your Say Group

The ‘Have Your Say Group’ is made up of people who use The Action Group’s Housing and Community Support Service (HACSS).


We talk about:

  • Important choices The Action Group has to make
  • Ways to make support better for the people who use The Action Group
  • Social activities and groups
  • Other issues that might affect us like government cuts

Our views are passed on to The Action Group’s Managers and Board of Directors. They use our ideas to try to make things better. Sometimes we contact politicians about other issues we feel strongly about. We also write a newsletter every 3 months to keep others up-to-date with what is happening. The group is a great way to meet new people and get your voice heard. We meet on a Wednesday afternoon at the Norton Park office in Edinburgh.

If you are interested in coming along, please speak to your support worker or team manager to find out more.

Start typing and press Enter to search